Search

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

John Carpenter's Halloween Review

I think it is an accurate statement to say that anyone who has any basic knowledge of the horror genre has heard of Halloween, Michael Myers, or can at least recognize his face. This movie has been my all time favorite movie since I was young. It was the film that I grew up watching every Halloween season, and even other times throughout the year. If you haven't seen this movie, then you need to.

It is a staple of the Halloween Season, no matter how much time has passed, Michael Myers will always be an iconic image. Watching this movie instantly gets me into the spirit of Halloween. The great thing about it is that it is a franchise, so even after I re-watch the original over and over again, I have a different film to move onto after.

Halloween is not for everyone. Some could find it extremely boring, and some can't look passed the low quality. It is an older movie, that originally had a very low budget. Therefor, it does not have the best effects. However, if you can look past this, then this movie could easily become anyone's favorite film, or it could even becomes a family tradition.

As I said before Halloween had a low budget. The mask used by Michael Myers is even just a basic William Shatner mask. During the time of production they needed a cheap but effective way of producing a recognizable, yet unique character. They took a William Shatner mask derived from his role in Star Trek, painted it white, added a few details, and made the eye holes larger. Who would have guessed that such a simple change would have created perhaps the most recognizable character in horror?

Growing up with horror I have become accustomed to all types of it. Including low budget, or "boot-leg." I see these movies as more than just the visual qualities, but I see the time and effort that is put into making them. They're works of art, that hold the creators dreams. This is one reason why I find so much greatness within this movie. Even though it was created with a low budget, it has managed to becomes extremely popular, and it even worked its way to having a cult following.

With this in mind, consider watching this spectacular movie. For what they had to work with, they managed to achieve a lot. It is an annual staple for my Halloween season.
Word Count: 412

No comments:

Post a Comment